Wednesday, June 19, 2013

A Tale For The Time Being by Ruth Ozeki


A Tale for the Time Being

My Rating:  3.2

This is the story of 16 yo Nao who is the victim of bullying, a loving but dysfunctional home and is the great granddaughter of a very cool 104 year old Buddhist Nun.  On a British Columbia island is Ruth, who finds Nao's diary which pulls Ruth into the past and interesting plays on time.

There were so many things to love about this book...great writing, a unique storyland, settings in Japan and Vancouver Island (both of which have been my stomping grounds and it felt like she NAILED both places way of life) and playing with Nao/Now....or even "now!"

On one hand, Ozeki's novel is full of multi-faceted layers upon layers that were very compelling (loved the play on Nao/now).  She is a gifted writer and she had an extremely unique story line that came so close to grabbing me but, in the end, it was a miss.  It felt overly long and I didn't like Nao for the greater portion of the book and the time play was implausible (maybe I am too practical and only believe in the here and now).  I have great admiration for Ozeki and will definitely be checking out more of her brilliant writings and storylines as this one still is being turned over in my mind so, that says something.

No comments:

Post a Comment