Saturday, January 12, 2019

A Meal In Winter by Herbert Mingarelli

My Rating: 4.9

Three German soldiers in the middle of winter in Poland. They will either have to execute Jews or, be sent out to hunt them down. Their Commander sends the three men out into the frozen Polish countryside to bring back a Jew for execution.


This was such beautiful writing. It flowed so easily I could have devoured it all in one sitting but I wanted to savor ever sentence. The descriptions of the winter made me feel cold to my bones. This made me wonder how I would feel being in any number of their positions. War is not a happy story but this was a delight. This was very different and yet somehow reminiscent of City of Thieves.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, right up my alley. Adding this to my ever growing TBR from Elle. Thanks for the review. Jeana XO

    ReplyDelete