Monday, August 5, 2019

The Winter Soldier by Daniel Mason

My Rating: 4.9

Vienna, 1914. Lucius is a twenty-two-year-old medical student when World War I explodes across Europe. Enraptured by romantic tales of battlefield surgery, he enlists, expecting a position at a well-organized field hospital. But when he arrives, at a commandeered church tucked away high in a remote valley of the Carpathian Mountains, he finds a freezing outpost ravaged by typhus. The other doctors have fled, and only a single, mysterious nurse named Sister Margarete remains.


This book won't be for everyone as it does lag at times. For me, the beautiful writing propelled it along. I truly FELT each scene - the weather, the war, the emotions - and that will stay with me. Absolutely gorgeous but not a light fluffy read and at times, I didn't like where the plot went but again, the writing held me to the end. Will definitely get more by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment