Thursday, November 7, 2019

The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes

My Rating: 4.0

Alice Wright marries wealthy American Bennett Van Cleve to flee from her judgmental home and family in England. She rues the day as the marriage is less than idyllic. She decides to escape the Van Cleve home by joining Margery in delivering books to the back woods of Kentucky.


If you haven't heard the controversy (I hadn't until later), Moyes came out with this book just a few months after The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek. Both books are about the little written about time of the Kentucky Pack Horse Library Program. For me, the similarity stops there. I felt that Moyes book was fluffy, superficial and more about the characters. This was a quick read but very romance and drama based and a little too wrapped up in a bow for my liking. I enjoyed The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek more as it felt deeper and dealt with the women's struggles and joys in delivering the library books as well as the additional layer of the Blue People. I am not saying this book was bad but, with all the talk of comparison, if I had to pick only one, it would definitely be The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek

No comments:

Post a Comment