Sunday, November 3, 2019

The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson

My Rating: 4.8

In 1936, 19 year old Cussy Carter lives in Troublesome Creek, Kentucky. Cussy is the last of the rare 'blue people' who is so excited to get a job in the new Pack Horse Library Project.  As she travels with her mule up the trecherous mountains of Kentucky to deliver books to the folks on her route, they soon overcome their fear of her blue color and call her "Bluet" or "Book Woman" and can't wait for her visits.


I can't puzzle out why I loved this so much, but I did. I felt that this was about two different things - the blue colored people and the library delivery system - both of which were educational and fascinating. Cussy Mary was an absolute delight and I enjoyed the glimpse into the many lives in the back hills of Kentucky. This is not a fast paced book but rather, it takes you back in time to a slower pace and allows you to peek in on their lives. Delightful read.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this one so much. I agree the two historical story topics were fascinating and I also just loved many of the characters. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved this one as well. Just finished "The Giver of Stars" and can see why there was controversy but think this one was the winner! Feel bad for this author as she isn't as well known and it does feel like her thunder got stolen when I think she had the better book.

      Delete