Thursday, November 21, 2019

The River by Peter Heller

My Rating: 4.9

Best friends, Wynn and Jack share their love of mountains, books, and fishing. Wynn is a gentle giant, a Vermont kid never happier than when his feet are in the water. Jack is more rugged, raised on a ranch in Colorado where sleeping under the stars and cooking on a fire came as naturally to him as breathing. When they decide to canoe the Maskwa River in northern Canada, they anticipate long days of leisurely paddling and picking blueberries, and nights of stargazing and reading paperback Westerns. But a wildfire making its way across the forest adds unexpected urgency to the journey. They also encounter several people and try to warn them about the fire but soon regret this.


Wow, wow, wow. Oh Peter Heller I love you (ok, at least your writing). I loved The Dog Stars and this was just as an amazing experience. I loved all the characters, the sense of foreboding and the amazing descriptions. I love that 'nature' was one of the characters. I am moving some of your other books up to the top of my queue as you have a way of whisking the reader away and when they land after that last page is turned, all they can do is reminisce over the magical journey you just took us on. Heller captures the power of nature as well as man's vulnerabilities so well. I highly recommend the audio version of this book.

2 comments:

  1. Loved this one too! I need to read more from him. I added The Dog Stars to my list. Happy Reading!
    Jeana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dog Stars is different but the writing made me fall in love with it. I keep saying I am going to read every book by my favorite author but there are so many books and so little time! Happy Thanksgiving my friend xoxo

      Delete