Tuesday, December 17, 2019

A Place For Us by Fatima Farheen Mirza

My Rating: 4.8

This is about Rafiq and Layla's children Hadia, Huda, and Amar, first generation Americans trying to define their paths while deciding how to incorporate their parent's customs and beliefs. This covers the children's journey from children to adults...and the parents journey as well.


I loved all of the characters. To my surprise, I particularly loved Part 4, where the same circumstances were retold but this time, from the Father's perspective. I am glad I didn't read too much about this and when my gf from India recommended it, I remembered I had it on my kindle and moved it to the top of the queue. It is about coming of age, Muslim-Americans, struggling with different cultures and being a parent. More than anything, it is about family.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book, as well! Hope you are having a nice holiday season.
    Jeana
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeana! I hope you are having a fabulous holiday - and making lots of time for reading! xoxo

      Delete