Friday, March 17, 2017

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

My rating: 5.0

5th grade August (Auggie) who has been homeschooled is about to go to mainstream school for the first time. Auggie was born with a severe facial deformity. This book is told from several perspectives - Auggie's, his sisters, friends at school - and captures all viewpoints in such an amazingly plausible way that you feel for each and every person. The writing is amazing and captures each person's voice and has you ready to cry one minute and truly chuckling the next.


My oldest niece was born with a hair lip cleft palette (which Auggie has as well but, he has so much else) and I know what she went through and I felt for her. This made me understand so much more, from all sides. This has been in my TBR queue for a long time and I am so glad it finally bubbled up to the top. What an amazingly well written book.  Strongly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment