Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

My Rating: 3.8

In an unnamed South American country, a world-renowned soprano sings at a birthday party in honor of a visiting Japanese industrial titan. In the opening sequence, a ragtag band of 18 terrorists enters the vice-presidential mansion through the air conditioning ducts. Their quarry is the president, who has unfortunately stayed home to watch a favorite soap opera. From the beginning, things go awry.


Wow! There is no easy way to summarize this book. If you are reading it to "know what happens in the end" you will be disappointed. This isn't about the ending....it is about the beautiful journey that unfolds of each character - terrorist or hostage...and the lines get blurred.  I read this years ago and loved it. This time reading it was enjoyable but didn't have the grip that it did then. I don't deny that there is so much beauty in the prose and unfolding but, somehow, it didn't hold up. I am not sure if it didn't stand the test of time, if I expected too much or if I have advanced in my expectations as a reader. Good but not great.

No comments:

Post a Comment