Saturday, October 5, 2019

Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline

My Rating: 3.0

A 91-year-old woman with a hidden past as an orphan-train rider and the teenage girl whose own troubled adolescence leads her to seek answers to questions no one has ever thought to ask. Nearly eighteen, Molly gets a community service position helping an elderly woman clean out her home is the only thing keeping her out of juvie and worse.


I enjoyed the story of the 91 year old woman much more than the current day story with Molly. The writing felt very weak and YA. Unfortunately the author doesn't know how to make "bad guys" have any depth, so the bad characters were very poorly portrayed with only one dimension and not believable. The political agenda was also off putting.  Disappointing considering all the hype that I heard about this book when it came out.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Elle -
    Thanks for the review, did you read "Orphan Train" or the newer young reader's edition of "Orphan Train Girl"? Just curious, I have heard great things about the newer one too but was worried about how making the story for younger readers might lose something.
    Jeana
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I checked and it was definitely "Orphan Train". I looked it up and it says the only differences are in the "girl" version the girl is younger (she was in high school in my book - but middle school in the 'girl' version) and the book is a bit shorter. I wish my book was shorter lol! I actually did enjoy the flasbhack portions.

      Delete