Sunday, October 13, 2019

The Things We Cannot Say by Kelly Rimmer

My Rating; 4.7

Back in WWII Alina knew from the time she was 9 years old  that she was going to marry her best friend Tomasz. Now at 15 years old, she is engaged and blissfully naive of what it means as the Nazis invade Poland.

In present day, Alice is juggling being a mother of 2 children - a gifted girl and a little boy with Asperger's. She feels her husband doesn't know how to interact with their son and is working far too much. She struggles to juggle everything when she finds out her beloved 95 year old grandmother is in the hospital.When "Babscia" tries to have her grandaughter Alice find her long dead husband, the family thinks that stroke has impacted her memory.



I loved the unfolding of these two story lines and how they gradually wove together. I started  off enjoying Alina's story more but, as it unfolded, I really felt for Alice and everything she was dealing with. I thought the story line of Alice and her husband was particularly well done. Some reviewers say that Alina wasn't relatable but I think that at 15 years old, her oblivion of the war and focus on her own life was very understandable. This was a very enjoyable read.

2 comments:

  1. I am a sucker for WWII novels and I miss reading them right now but adding this to my TBR.
    Jeana
    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on being a sucker for WWII novels. I admire you on donig the classics as I am definitely a 'read what I am in the mood for" type of girl :-) xoxo

      Delete